Starts off a bit slow, but is really a good lecture.
Parts 1-7 in following video, you can find them in smaller chunks by searching the web.
There is a difference between a democracy and a republic
Most people do not know what their rights are.
The purpose of a constitution is to set up a form of governement which sets out the principles upon which it is built.
Education is favourable to liberty, Freedom can only exist in the society of knowledge. How elese can you protect your rights?
For government to be good, they must be properly scrutinized by the public
RIGHTS AND PRIVILEGES
- "A right is power, privilege or faculty inherrent on one person and incident on another.
- Generally defined as powers of free action. Something you have the sovereign power to do because there is no higher power to get permission from."
- A privilege is a particular or peculia benefit or advantage enjoyed by a person, company or class, beyond the common advantages of other citizens, A temporary authority granted to you by someone of a higher authority.
- Owning land gives you rights over that land.
- Government is granted power, it does not exist for itself, the government does not grant us privileges, we have rights.
- Rights are derived from property, don't forget you are your own property
- We are not granted rights, the rights are inalienable
- Granting someone a right is a contradiction in terms, see definition above.
- The absence of protect of rights bring tyranny
- Even a two year old understands owning property is important
- Alodial title, a type of ownership where there are restrictions on its use. We pay property tax because we don't own the land, we pay tax on money because we don't own the money
- Rights and responsibilities are linked, you cannot slander someone but you have a right to free speech.
- A right to someone else's property is a contradiction in terms
- You don't have a right to food, you cannot go into a restaurant and demand food for free
- The bill of rights do not give you your rights
- You only have the rights that you enforce, if you are no willing to fight and die for them, you are unlikely to retain them.
- Possession is only 9/10 of the law, you need ownership to fully control something
- You have to understand the law well enough to win it and assert it
- Freedom is not free and it is not easy
- The only limitation on your rights are the equal rights of others.
- You have signed contracts with the government that you are not aware you have signed.
- Purpose of government is to protect your rights, government settles disputes in an orderly and impartial fashion.
- To protect the rights you have to list them. Thats why constitutions list them.
- Sovereignty means you are the final decision maker.
- Once the king had all of the property, so therefore all of the rights, and he would dish out priviliges
- In order to be sovereign you have to have mental sovereignty first. Them you can have your financial and physical sovereignty.
- When someone takes your liberties, they usually take them in slcies until you are in a corner and have no chance of defending them.
- Government is not reason of eloquence but force.
- "Monarchy is power in one person, ""do as i say or Die"" the rules benefit that person"
- Oligarcy is power by an elite few the rules benefit them
- Democracy is rule by the many , but the minority loses. You are only granted rights by the majority. Another-words mob rule
- In a republic we can vote on everything but property
- There is a left, right and up and down in political thought
- The two partys are almost the same because they have to pay attention to each other to get thier votes. (policy creep for votes) If you vote for your candidate even though they don't win, it sends a signal to who does o pay attention.
- A totalitarian government is a monarchy
- Fascism is a dictatorship
- Socialism advocates the community owns the means of production
- Because rights are derived from property, if the property belongs to the community and not you, then you have no rights.
- That is why socialism is bad. you are denied your rights.
- 10 out of ten items in the communist manifesto are in this country.
- Your freedom of speech is just not limited to say things others agree with. Otherwise the freedom is not needed, and it is not freedom.